As a London newborn photographer hygiene and safety in the studio has always been a top priority for me.
If you have worked with me before you will probably know already the well-being of your baby has always been put first. If I woke up the morning of the shoot with a bit of cold or if my daughter caught a nasty bug that could be passed down I always reschedule and postponed the session.
At the beginning of the Corona breakout, I closed my studio about 10 days before the government guideline because I was genuinely worried about my little clients’ safety. You can read my FB post here.
So what about now? What are the Covid safety measures?
From 1st of June outdoor sessions have been allowed. These are perfect the situation for families with older babies, toddlers and busy children that love running around having their freedom. Being in the open space of a park will allow me to stay at the social distance required: I actually use a long lens so I am 4-5 meters away from my client.
What about studio newborn session?
From the 15th of June photography studio reopened as per government decision. So maternity session or older babies are welcome but for newborn it will be early July (4th) following the 5 step plan and the relevant recommendations to reflect Covid safety measures.
Can I book my newborn session?
- There will be only one session per day in the studio (this was the case pre-Covid too) and only close family can attend. Extended family or pets are now allowed in the session for now.
- Limited shoots are available. Only 2 newborn sessions per week to give the time to clean and sterilise properly all.
- My style of photography has always been very simple so it will work perfectly now with no use of props and limited contact with baby.
- After the session clients will review the photos through an online gallery
New Policies for Covid safety measures
- Stay vigilant. If you or your child are developing symptoms or just feel unwell (even mildly) before your session, please contact me as soon as possible to reschedule. I understand this may be an inconvenience, but it is of utmost importance that I do not allow a virus into the studio at this time due to the vulnerable condition of my other clients. Of course, I will do the same. The session will be postponed without any additional fee.
- The studio will be thoroughly clean before your session and cleaned and ventilated after the session.
- Antiviral products will be used paying special attention to those “high touch” areas like door handles, light switches, sofa, bathroom, floor and sink.
- Surfaces which cannot be cleaned with bleach or alcohol-based products will be cleaned using steam.
- Blankets and other material used during the session will be washed after the session.
- I used to offer a little snack with tea and coffee. It is safer if you take a snack with you as unfortunately, they will no longer be available. Bottled water will be provided.
- I will be using a face mask during the session as well as a clean apron so the baby won’t be touching my clothes. I will be wearing fresh clothes and they will get washed straight afterwards.
- My hands will be washed before touching the baby and hand sanitiser will be used throughout the session.
- Please wear fresh clothes as well, clothes that you have not worn throughout the day or on a previous day.
- You will be asked to wash your hands upon arrival. Hand sanitiser is available. Also, tissues are provided if you need to sneeze or cough. I recommend you wash your hands on leaving the studio too.
- I use Dyson Pure Hot+Cool that keeps that uses advanced technology to purify the air and captures 99.95% of microscopic allergens and pollutants
- There isn’t much space in the studio so it would be great if you can leave your buggies and prams at home/car and just take the baby in with the car seat.
It’s natural to feel worried the coronavirus and this whole situation. I hope this blog post answered some of your questions.
I understand how important this photo session is for you as time passes very quickly, but I also hear your concerns about the spread of the virus and wishing to protect your family. So I’m doing my best in taking all precautions to ensure my client’s safety as well as my own.
Please have a look at my newborn portfolio to see the simple style of my photos and if you have any other concerns don’t hesitate to get in touch.
You can reach me via email firstname.lastname@example.org or on 07577978246
Here a few images of my studio.