If you are pregnant and you crave for pizza, and shortly after for chocolate or ice (really?!?) don’t worry! It’s all normal and part of your fantastic journey of pregnancy 🙂
Food cravings during pregnancy are well documented and extremely common.
Most of the time they are just random but actually the body is telling that you are lacking from a particular vitamin. Cravings in pregnancy are also thought to happen because of the extreme hormonal changes that your body is going through. These hormones have a powerful impact on taste and smell, so you may crave foods that you used to avoid, and go off things that you used to enjoy. Otherwise why would you prefer a pickle over a piece of chocolate?
When I was pregnant I don’t remember crazy cravings. I think I stayed pretty faithful and loyal all times to my Nutella! Actually I still do, even if not pregnant 😀 But I never woke up in the middle of the night assaulting the kitchen cabinets.
Women reported that cravings mostly struck in the afternoon (40%) or in the evening (38%), with only 8% sneaking off for midnight snacks.
I did some researches and apparently these are the top cravings in pregnancy.
- ICE. Really? Apparently women love to chew on ice. Those with anemia are more likely to be seen chewing on ice, since it can relieve inflammation of the mouth and tongue (a common symptom of anemia). I could understand the cooling down feeling, as we always feel hot, but I don’t quite get the pleasure of sucking ice. We are weird 🙂
- CHOCOLATE. This is definitely my favourite! Some believe that a chocolate craving is attributed to a pregnant woman’s increased caloric needs. If you’re craving chocolate, pass over the milk chocolate and reach for the dark stuff — they say it will help satisfy your craving better. Plus it helps improve heart health and is loaded with antioxidants.
- PICKLES. Pickles (along with olives and potato chips) are a typical craving culprit. Increases blood volume raises a pregnant woman’s need for sodium, making these salty foods a common go-to.
- SPICY FOOD. Spicy foods, such as curry or hot red peppers, are yet another common craving among pregnant women. Interestingly enough, it’s because hot foods make the body sweat, which cools off the body. If you’re currently expecting, then you know it’s almost impossible to stay cool. Try adding some spice to your next meal to see if it helps cool you down. WOW! Can you believe it?
- COFFEE. Even though some doctors say it’s a no-no, coffee is commonly craved by pregnant women, especially those who drank it before conceiving. Coffee makes you more alert and decreases headaches and depression. As an Italian mum I alwasyhad my espresso in the morning and one more during the day. Check with your doctor or nutritionist if you are not sure.
Do you want to know something really funny?
Some cravings are pretty unusual, more than ice yes. And I would say to consult the doctor if you do crave for these
- laundry soap
Wow hormones make us do crazy things, don’t you think? So do you crave for? Sweet,
So do you crave for? Sweet, salt, sour, spicy, everything or anything? Let me know in the comments.
And if you want to document your belly and remember your crazy cravings I’ll be happy to help.
Photograface by Valentina | Maternity Photographer London | 07577 978 246